This Monsoon, How can you Fight a Sinus Infection
The sinuses are the hollow spaces in your skull. They help to filter air going into the lungs. A sinus infection occurs when these hollow spaces are inflamed. If you are experiencing discomfort around your nose and eyebrow area, the chances are high that you may be suffering from a sinus infection. Symptoms of a sinus infection can get worse during the monsoon. A sinus infection is more than nasal congestion or headache and facial pain - it basically affects your overall quality of life.
If you suffer from sinus problems during the rainy season, check these useful tips to fight the infection and get relief from the common symptoms -
1. Inhale steam: Keep your nasal passages moist as it aids drainage. Though inhaling steam won’t make the infection go away, it can help soothe irritated nasal passage and relieve sinus pressure. Take a bowl of hot water, place a towel over your head and lean over the bowl and breathe deeply. It is one of the widely used home remedies.
2. Keep yourself hydrated: Drinking water and other fluids like tea and soup can help relieve the sinus congestion. Staying hydrated loosens the mucus trapped in your sinuses which helps in clearing the congestion. Keep a water bottle close by to encourage yourself to drink more water. You can also sip warm liquids like home-made soups. Avoid consuming sugary and caffeinated drinks that can leave you dehydrated. It’s best to drink warm water.
3. Rest: Chronic sinusitis can make daily activities like concentrating on work difficult. It can be quite annoying to get on with your day when you are suffering from sinusitis. If you have a sinus infection, get as much rest as you can. Taking rest will help the body recover and fight the infection.
4. Use warm compress: Using warm compress on your sinuses can also help. Placing a warm compress on the face can help soothe inflammation and relieve pressure from the blocked sinuses. To make a warm compress, soak a facecloth in hot water, wring it out, and place it on the face.
5. Avoid stress: Sinus symptoms worsen during times of emotional and physical stress. For stress reduction, find activities that you really enjoy doing. Spend at least 20-30 minutes in a day on activities you enjoy like dancing, baking or painting. Exercising, yoga and other forms of physical activities can help the body and mind fight stress better. You can also practise breathing techniques to fight off stress.
Learn about the best ayurvedic medicine for sinusitis
Our ayurvedic medicine, Breathe Eazy, can help you manage the condition in an effective and safe way. The herbal ingredients in Breathe Eazy increase the production of Lysozyme, the salivary enzyme that kills bacteria, virus and other microbes. This prevents the onset of upper and lower respiratory tract infections. Adaptogens like aswagandha, haritaki, vibhitaki, pepper and ginger make Breathe Eazy a potent ayurvedic medicine for breathing disorders. Pankajakasthuri Breathe Eazy is available as granules, tablets, and syrup.